Student Visa- subclass 500
This visa is for students who want to come to Australia to study at a registered education institution.
You can study a registered full-time course in Australia. Eligible family members can accompany you to Australia. You and your family members can generally work a specified number of hours. You can generally stay in Australia until your course is finished.
Before you apply for this visa, you must have:
- been accepted to study full-time in a registered course at an educational institution in Australia
- organised appropriate welfare arrangements for the duration of your intended stay in Australia if you are under 18 years of age.
Training (Temporary) Visa-subclass 407
This is a training visa, not a work visa. This visa is for people who want to come to Australia on a temporary basis to participate in occupational training or in a professional development program. This is a sponsored visa valid for 12-24 months. There are three streams under this visa. Most students who have completed their study are eligible to apply for this visa.
- Training Required for Registration – to undertake a structured workplace-based training to obtain registration, membership or licensing in Australia, or their home country, in order to work in their occupation.
- Training to Enhance Skills – to undertake a structured workplace-based training program in relation to an occupation specified in the Skilled Occupation List or Consolidated Sponsored Occupation List
- Training for Capacity Building Overseas –This type of training includes the following categories:
- Overseas Qualification – This category enables students who are currently enrolled in a foreign educational institution and who are required to complete a period of practical training, research or observation to obtain their qualification, the opportunity to undertake up to six months structured workplace-based training in Australia.
- Government Support – This category allows for structured workplace-based occupational training which has the support of a government agency in Australia or the government in the home country of the nominated trainee.
- Professional Development – This category enables overseas employers to send their managerial or professional employees to Australia to undertake a tailored professional development programme of face-to-face teaching in a classroom or similar environment.