Settlement-Short term accommodation  

Settlement in Australia-There are important things that you need to do when you arrive as a skilled or family migrant, a refugee or a humanitarian entrant.

Immediately after arriving in Australia, the most important thing is to find a temporary accommodation for a couple of weeks. But we strongly advise that it is a good idea to arrange temporary accommodation before you arrive in Australia. Most of the temporary accommodations are fully/semi-furnished. You can search on line for accommodations. For more details about accommodations, click on the Links on the website.

Once you find a temporary accommodation, you should do the following as soon as possible

  • Apply for a tax file number (TFN)
  • Register with Medicare
  • Open a bank account
  • Register with Centrelink
  • Contact the Health Undertaking Service
  • Register for English classes if necessary
  • Enrol your children in a school
  • Apply for a driver’s licence

Settlement-Job search  

Whether or not you are eligible for social security payment/family tax benefit, you can register with local Centrelink office as a Jobseeker if you hold a skilled migration visa. Once you register, you will be given a Jobseeker ID and then you are eligible to get assistance from a job service provider to find a job. You can further register with local recruitment agencies. It is better to have your updated resume/CV with you when you contact any recruitment agency or employer. 

Settlement-Long term accommodation 

As a Long term accommodation, you can find a rental property such as a house, unit, apartment, townhouse etc. For more details click on Links on this website and you can further search real estate agents online.